Thursday, July 13, 2006

Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man


There are certain concert films that capture the emotion of the performers in a way that television has completely forgotten, call it the MTV generation. Even my beloved Conan O'brien falls into this trap to some degree. There is something about a close up, unfaltering on a vocalist's face as they sing a song that moves us more than a million crane-shots and fast cuts and inserts of fingers on instruments. If you know what I'm talking about than you've probably seen Martin Scorceses "The Last Waltz," his film of The Band's farewell concert in the late 70's. It is an amazing film, and I highly reccomend it.


Which brings me to this:

Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man, which will soon hit select theatres is another amazing concert film and documentary in the same vein. Even if you have no idea who Leonard Cohen is, and even if you have no idea who the performers who play his song are in the film, you will enjoy this movie. And chances are, you will fall in love with Leonard Cohen.

0 comments: